Wednesday, June 8, 2016

In the Court Room: The Connections Keep Coming


Here is another up-close picture of the courthouse that I took before entering into court on Tuesday.  I headed over there right away Tuesday morning with Kristen (one of the lawyers in the office) to sit in on all the hearings.  Kristen had to defend a few people for very minor traffic violations so she didn't have any interesting cases that day.  A majority of the other cases involved alcohol like DUI's, drug offenses, or simple assaults (with domestic abuse sometimes) which were definitely a little more intriguing! 

While in court, I actually had a few flashbacks to when I did my first initial project for my internship. I was told to go through 100+ magistrate reports in the Redfield Press newspapers and create an Excel spreadsheet of every offense and the sentence/conditions they were given for each offense. The lawyers in the office wanted me to do this so they have a trend and record of the sentences for every offense - for when they have to defend their clients with similar offenses.  Anyways... When I was in court on Tuesday, I saw SO much carryover from this simple project and the sentences that the people in court were receiving for their crimes.  There were times where I felt like I could have gotten up on the stand and came up with a reasonable sentence just from doing that simple (but repetitive) project on the first day on my internship a few weeks ago.  


It was so nice getting out of the office for a few hours and seeing the true side of Criminal Justice right in the court room.  It's a lot better than staring at a computer all day trying to sort through a personal injury case like I did on Monday!  I had never been in the court room so that was so cool to see and experience!  I also had the opportunity of personally meeting the Judge and State's Attorney for Spink County.  They both said they were more than willing to take me under their wing for a few days and let me shadow them.  The State's Attorney from the Huron, SD area was also present for court and we had a nice conversation - we actually exchanged contact information and I might go intern/shadow her for a time period this summer!  The connections just keep coming and I love it :)  It's so reassuring and rewarding to continually meet more and more people within the Justice field around this area.  It was all scary at first, but the ice has been broken and I feel like I will have many doors open for me when I return for good after one more semester of school! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is awesome that you got to go into the court and experience it all in real time. It's also great that you are getting so many more connections during this internship that will help you in the future. whats the saying "its not about what you know; its about who you know", it is seriously so true though. I know this from experience being as I am in Human Resources right now, and knowing the right person can really help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, what a great experience you were able to have in the court room. Isn't it interesting how those small projects can result in a major learning experience for you. I feel they continue to bring more knowledge and experience to you as an individual. It is great to hear that you are able to network during these small sessions as well. That is only going to help your future career goals. This intern opportunity will allow you to bring experience to your resume!

    ReplyDelete