Tuesday, June 14, 2016

My Head is Spinning!

The first part of this week has felt more like an accounting internship that anything related to justice! Not that I'm complaining because it relates a lot to my business major and I love accounting work, but sitting a staring at statements, fine print, and a computer screen for hours upon hours can make one go nuts and give an incredible headache!!  Sometimes it feels like my head is spinning, just like the image pictured above does (that I found on Google). I have been doing a great deal of work for Angela, who is an accountant in the office, and helping her with one of her clients' accounting work from 2015. What makes this client so difficult is that they don't organize all of their information like statements, check registers, deposit slips, etc. so it ends up being a great deal of sorting that most other clients have all organized and ready to go (like they are supposed to). The work can get very stressful and overwhelming at times, but it helps that I'm a very organized person with a Type A personality that likes to work with numbers! I will have to take a picture tomorrow of my messy desk area and post it later this week... It is a complete cluster!


On Monday, Robin (who is Paul's assistant) had me work on going through all tax forms for a client and look specifically at the Form 1040 (Schedule D), which I have pictured above from Google. This client actually died back in 2012, so I went through all of his tax returns from 2012-Current to track every asset that has been sold to record it's cost basis.  In short, Robin wanted to know the "date of death value" of each of his assets that were sold and organize it in a spreadsheet (pictured below). Just because this client bought the asset at a certain price, does not mean it's value stayed the same... So I went through all his forms and calculated these numbers for her.  I tell you what... If you have never had to file taxes or look through these forms, they are confusing and very hard to understand!  



The beginning of this week has been a lot of numbers and paperwork to sort through! Tomorrow I will continue working on the accounting work for Angela, but I will also start doing some legal work for Paul which I'm excited about! I'm actually planning on going to court with Tim next week on Monday - I'm looking forward to getting out of the office and seeing some action in court :)

3 comments:

  1. Jessica it sounds like you are getting a lot of great experience in may different areas. Some may not be specific to your field of study but any learning is beneficial in advancing your career. As you stated several times throughout you are meeting many people and developing relationships. This networking will get you very far when you finish your schooling and open up so many doors would probably wouldn't have had a chance to open prior to an internship. Good luck in your school and future career it sounds like you are a great team player.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that part doesn't even sound enjoyable to me! I know that if someone sat me down to show me how to do it I would be fine, but at first glance that just sounds overwhelming! I am glad that there are people like you in the world that like working with number like that! But like Kathy said this is such a great opportunity! I am excited for you to get to be in a court room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to second Alyssa-- I would be entirely at sea were I faced with the tasks you are doing. But it also sounds like you're settling into your new role, which is awesome!

    ReplyDelete