Thursday, June 2, 2016

Throwing it Back


Can you hear "This Kiss" by Faith Hill playing in the background? What a throwback! This week  I've been back in a different office working on a desk beside Ellen, who does the book-keeping, payroll, accounting and tax work for the office. I've been doing some accounting work on Quick Books software for one of the lawyer's clients all week. I love that Ellen plays music on the radio - and the modern pop station, too! It makes it a little more lively, fun and energizing.  She is an older lady who has been working there for about 35 years and she is an absolute sweetheart. We have had a lot of fun chatting and working together the past couple days back in her office. She actually decided this past year was going to be her last tax season and is trying to gradually phase out into being more part-time and eventually retirement.


Although it's sad she will be leaving because she has been around for so long, Paul (the lawyer and owner of the firm) and Ellen both told me today that I would have a job here right after I graduate this December if I want one, to basically start taking over her position.  Although this isn't technically a job "specific" to the criminal justice field, it basically incorporates both of my degrees of Justice/Law and Business. Ellen said it would be very beneficial for me to have some tax background for when their busy tax season takes place from January-April each year so I got registered for Federal Tax I this fall semester. It fit in my class schedule great and just required Accounting I and II prerequisites (which I have) - so I think it is all meant to be! Ellen also said she would be more than willing to mentor me and work with me as I would gradually learn her job and move into her position. I'm VERY excited about this opportunity!

The main goal of my internship this summer was not only to gain experience, but more importantly build those relationships and connections with people. They always say it's not always about what you know, but more about WHO you know! I think this is so evident in my case, and many students who do internships - they more than often lead us into jobs after the internship is over. Like I've said before, I will be moving back to Redfield, SD with my boyfriend after my final semester of school this fall - which is an area that I didn't grow up in and one I'm pretty unfamiliar with. I'm glad I put myself out on a leaf and contacted Paul almost a year ago about doing an internship this summer. I think good things will be coming from this experience this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment